Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Want to Text You Up

On Wednesday, my mom discovered the text message. I’m still not sure if that’s a good thing or not. Since it entered my world sometime in 2005, the text message has had its pros and cons for sure. On the one hand, it’s an easy way to locate lost comrades at crowded concerts, a surefire way to avoid longwinded phone conversations and, most importantly, a digital diary of last night’s drunken debauchery. But, at the same time, when placed in the wrong hands, the text message can be a rather dangerous device---some people will never understand that every thought that crosses their mind doesn’t need to be documented and delivered (don’t worry mom, that thought was directed at JFS not you). Plus, frankly, its kind of weird that my mom is delivering her daily parental reminders through a medium which cut its teeth advancing the booty call into the 21st century. If only Seinfeld was still around to define cell phone edict for my generation.

1 comment:

Ace Cowboy said...

My mother still thinks text messages are emails -- every one I get from her starts with 'Dear Ace' and ends with 'Love, Mom.'

Good luck.