Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A St. Valentine Reflection: A Happy Day and Then You Pay

In general, I’m not big fan of Hallmark Holidays, 4/20 included. But, since Valentine’s Day is the Rosh Hashanah of greeting card celebrations, I thought I’d make an exception just this once…

In my life, I’ve made three different girls cry (and, no, that doesn’t count the time I hit Tuppy Steuer in the head with a dogeball). Once was because of something nice, once was because of something mean and once falls somewhere in-between. I credit the first to cliché high school rhymes and blame the second on a particularly strong 7&7. But the third I take sole responsibility for, not because of what I did but because of what I didn’t do.

I often joke that I exclusively date crazy girls. But, in retrospect I think I might be the one making them crazy with my indecisiveness (my nice guy curse the fear of being too aggressive) leading to the tear filled mutt of a rejection/breakup mentioned above. After all it, takes meteorologist to upgrade a flirtatious tropical storm to a full-scale emotional hurricane.

As an open valentine/apology to all the hurricanes I’ve caused over the years (and to Tupy Steuer), I offer the following message from Elliot Smith. Its either the happiest song he ever wrote or the saddest song anyone else ever has, depending on how filled you like your glass.

we broke up a month ago and I grew up I didn't know
I'd be around the morning after

it's always been wait and see
a happy day and then you pay
and feel like shit the morning after
but now I feel changed around and instead falling down
I'm standing up the morning after

situations get fucked up and turned around sooner or later

and I could be another fool or an exception to the rule
you tell me the morning after
crooked spin can't come to rest
I'm damaged bad at best
she'll decide what she wants
I'll probably be the last to know
no one says until it shows and you see how it is
they want you or they don't
say yes

I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl
who's still around the morning after

No comments: