Thursday, February 02, 2006

Lingering Childhood Addictions


As anyone whose had the unfortunate pleasure of dining with me can attest, my eating habits haven’t progressed since the first grade. In fact, in an ideal world my entire diet would consist of tuna sandwiches, cheese omelets, spaghetti, pizza and chocolate milk. Basically a carb and a dairy product topped with some form of tomato sauce. It’s not that I haven’t tried different types of food or, as some have claimed, that I am psychosomatically rebelling against my upper middleclass suburban background. Its just that I have really simple taste buds. You wouldn’t believe how much people can talk about how little I eat. Its like I live in an episode of the Twilight Zone where eating spaghetti without a fancy topping is as socially incorrect as double dipping a chip while eating a briscket with your bare hands. In fact, I honestly think my worst career choice was choosing Tuna for lunch on my first day of work at Relix. But, at the end of the day, I boil it down to knowing what I like and sticking with it---kind of like exclusively dating immature crazy girls and consistently leaving my shoes untied while bouncing around the city. Come to think of it, maybe I should have paid more attention in the second grade....

No comments: