Sunday, November 09, 2008

Joe and Marco


A random thought before I start my week…


I had this moment at Marco's show Saturday when I realized that Phish will forever my band and the Disco Biscuits my musical family, but the Duo is truly the soundtrack to my 20s in New York. Not only because I feel like I've seen Joe and/or Marco at least once a week since I moved here, but because their mixture of avant-jazz, rock and jam somehow manges to keep divergent elements of the Tonic, Knitting Factory and Wetlands scenes (respectively) alive in the 21st century. They're the missing link between the New Deal and Galactic, indie-rock and funk, twenty-something freedom and thirty-something responsibility. Plus, the way they structure their songs---the loose themes and instrumental passages, tied together by reoccurring hooks and melodies, which ebb and flow before fading into the night---seem to parallel how I've bounced my way through this strange scene in this strange city at this strange time of my life...

Here's someone else's vision of some of my favorite nights...

Benevento, Fishman and Mathis



Benevento, Russo and Barr



Russo, Hamilton (x2) and Metzger



Russo, Benevento, Lesh, Anastasio and Gordon

1 comment:

Distant Noodle said...

Okay, so that video playing behind Fishman, the Bear, Gorilla and all...it's from a Chuck-E-Cheese-like place called "Show-Biz." There used to one in South Bend, IN where I lived until I was seven. My wife swears the cutest picture ever taken of me is me at my 5th birthday party hugging that big bear with the missing tooth. What a funny blast from the past.